I got this book at at our neighborhood giveaway. I remembered reading Rebecca by the same author so i brought it home. This book was creepy, but I couldn't put it down. The main character's parents die and she goes to live with her aunt at the Jamaica Inn. Over the course of the winter, she finds out all the terrible things her uncle is involved in. She also meets two potential suitors, one a clergyman, the other her uncle's brother. In the end, she does run away with one of them, but not until she discovers shocking news about the other.
The thing that surprised me most about this book was how cynical the author was about marriage and religion. It wasn't heavy-handed, but clear. Basically, I felt like the author feels that religious leaders are not to be trusted and are hypocrites. Further, the narrator describes how romantic evenings during courtship turn into husbands and wives angry with each other every night of marriage.
Overall, although this was an interesting and even exciting read at times, I felt like it doesn't merit a "virtuous, lovely or a good report."
No comments:
Post a Comment